Sunday, March 2, 2014

Day 5 - 60kms -off to Invercargle

 60kms - 3.5 hours ride time. Horrid!

Today was planned as a short day so that I could spend the arvo at the E Hayes hardware store where there is a great bike and car exhibit set amungst their products including some of Burt munroe's bikes. 

The ride was nice for the first hour and then it turned to hell. Torrential rain so hard you couldn't see the road. There was knowhere to hide out in open farm country so I just had to battle on. To add to the challenge the tyre that Colin gave me couldn't handle the touring punishment and I had two punctures. I arrived at the campground wet and cold only to find they had no  cabins. I put up my tent in the rain and threw my wet gear inside. After a warm shower I walked to town to visit the hardware store. Eager to avoid the wet tent I then went to the movies. 
I got back to the camp around 8pm to find my tent rather wet inside. I dried it with my pack towl and climbed into my wet sleeping bag. The winds were so strong that the tent was constantly blown flat on top of me. The rain and wind eased around 1am and I got a few hours of cold sleep. Worse weather us forecast for tomorrow. Nice. 
Happy times 

Burrs Indian still holds the 1000cc world record. 
Burts road registered bike 

His bike trailers
You know I love a good van 

No comments:

Post a Comment