Sunday, March 9, 2014

Day 12 - 67kms - rest day ?

After a lovely night in omakau tucked up in the cabin decisions had to be made. My new German friend detlef asked me to come with him on a short cut to mount cook that he had heard about. I emailed Robbie who was our guide on the enduro ride that Steve and I did last year. He live close by and I asked him about the track. He said that you could definitely get through. A mountain bike would be more suitable but we could do it. I decided not to go but Detlef thought he would try. 
I headed off to finish the last 35k of the rail trail and then ride to Cromwell for s cleanup. All went well and I made camp by 2pm which gavel plenty of time to get all my washing and shopping and bike maintenance done before a big day tomorrow. 

The rail trail was great and I'm do glad I did it. It's been a highlight. 
Detlef was riding exactly the same touring bike as me with all the same panniers. He is a doctor from Germany. By the way he didn't get through on the trail and had to turn back. He ended up in my camp late in the arvo. 
End of the line at Clyde. Wayne was amazing over 150k of rough gravel track
Otago from the trail

No comments:

Post a Comment