Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 16 - 71kms - Geraldine to methven

The unbreakable rack? 
The day started very lazily with a 7.30 start and a walk to town for coffee and breakfast. I got on the road at a little after 9.30 for a lazy flat 70 k's. About 25k out I detected a funny noise on Wayne but could not identify it. A few k's on and I got out of the saddle to stretch my legs and "bang" the rear rack failed. Tubus racks are made in Germany and do not fail. They have a lifetime guarantee. Wrong. A broken rack is a bit of a show stopper. I managed to patch it up with a cable tie and quietly rode to the next town. There was a servo and I bought a hose clamp. That worked a treat as long as I stayed seated and quiet. It made it to methven. I have 120ks to get to Christchurch. Will it make it. Yes it will. Wayne will hold together. Poor guy is battling. Head stem bearings, bottom bracket, seat post, rear tyre. Poor guy looks worse than me. Big day tomorrow. Let's hope we can both hold it together. 



No comments:

Post a Comment