Saturday, July 20, 2013

Big aboriginal site find today

Ash and I found a fantastic site today. About half way through our 7.5 km hike we came to an area of granite that had a big basalt dyke running through it. I though the huge basalt stones were a likely place to fine some rock art. Sure as eggs we found 3 symbols on a big boulder (see below) the left hand symbols are for women. 
That's was all we could fine so we started to move off through the granite. As we worked our way forward I noticed a large flat area of granite up on the hill under the dyke that had some large basalt boulders sitting in it. I thought it looked hopeful. What I found just blew us away. Most of the boulders had petroglyphs on them. There were probably 30 different figures. It will take some time to work it all out. The area had a large rock pool with clear water in it. There was also two grinding pads on basalt boulders. It was s lovely spot looking over a large basin. You could just imagine aborigines living there. Here are some photos. 
The left hand symbol above is an emu ?
The bottom right symbol above means elder ?

This last photo shows one of the large grinding stones. 
I am so excited about this find that have made contact with a friend who knows someone in the aboriginal community in the area. I intend to report the find to the elders in case the site is not known to them.  
The place felt really nice. Ash and I wanted to stay and spend time there but we had many hours to walk to get back to the car. I hope to return again before we leave. 






No comments:

Post a Comment