Friday, May 27, 2011

Hearst Castle

Last time I ride the coast one of the highlights was a visit to the Hearst Castle. So even though the road was blocked we made sure that after the detour we headed back up the coast a ways to visit it. I thought it would blow Lisa away and I was right. We did the 2 hour experience tour which takes you to all the big highlights like the Neptune swimming pool in the picture. She loved it so much that we stayed overnight and did another tour the next day of the bedrooms, library and kitchen. The castle was built by William R Hearst who was the Rupert Murdoch of the 1920's. He plundered treasures from all over the world to build a living museum to entertain his friends in. While it's often cringe material it really is a must see. I'm sure something like it could never be built again. WRH was a complex man and I think most people can't work out if they liked or disliked him. I know I'm confused. I am going to read a biography on him so I can understand him a bit more. Going to the castle again was well worth the trouble.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment