Thursday, June 2, 2011

New York puzzle

Ok so if your a regular follower of this blog you will have guessed by now that I am not that enamored with New York. It's been 5 days now and we are finally starting to get the place worked out a bit. Case in point we finally found a good breakfast joint thismorning for the first time. We did it by scoping out the locals. That's the trick. You see there are 8 million people living in the 5 burrows(suburbs) of New York. At any one time there are 1.4 million tourists in the city at the same time. You have to find the little spots where the tourists don't find. It's not easy.
My hatred of NY is a little harsh but to put it in perspective you need to understand where I'm coming from:
1. I don't cope with crowds
2. I don't like being a conventional tourist.
3. I arrived here straight after spending 3 weeks in relative isolation riding my bike in a remote area.
4. We arrived labour day weekend which is when Americans start there summer. So everyone is a bit excited.
5. We also arrived for the first heat wave.

There is no getting away from the fact that NY is a smelly dirty overcrowded and overrated city. However the people who live here develope coping mechanisms that I grudgingly acknowledge.
Having said all that this place is not for me. I hope never to return. We are still trying to make the most of our time here. Today we are off to see the Mets play the pirates at city field. We are just about to take the subway to queens. I have just taken my first Valium for the day. I am sure Lisa will take care of the rest


Regards

Mike from iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment